GKB-Editor Release Notes
- Browse mode has been eliminated, so the meanings of the
different types of mouse-clicks have been changed.
- The relationships editor now pops up in its own application
window (in a modal fashion) rather than reusing the same
application window as the hierarchy viewer.
- A number of editing commands have been added to the
- The top-level pull-down menus have been reorganized.
- The preference dialogs for the hierarchy and relationships
viewers have been reorganized.
- Saving preferences has now changed: for each preference change,
the user must specify whether or not it should be saved as part
of the user profile, as part of the KB profile, both, or not at
all (appropriate defaults are provided).
- The Style dialog has changed to include WYSIWIG color menus and
an Apply Style button for testing out changes before committing
- Some new Loom-specific features have been added: a primitive-p
check-box in the frame-editor window for class frames, and some
- Added the ability to tab the currently selected slot in the
frame-editor viewer back and forth using the Space and Backspace keys.
- Added the ability to edit all values of a slot in a single
- Changed the KB Open and Select commands so that KBs opened in
previous sessions are now accessible through the Open menu rather
than the Select menu. The Select menu is now only for KBs
opened in the current session.
- Added different color links in hierarchy viewer for subclass and
- Added a preference to make entered frame names be
case-sensitive, rather than all coerced to uppercase.
- Added basic KB analysis tools.
- The keystroke accelerator for quitting has been changed from
Ctrl-Q to Ctrl-Sh-Q, so that users don't accidentally quit the
GKB-Editor when trying to close another viewer using Ctrl-Q.
Some other keystroke accelerators have been changed also.
- The GKB-Editor has been ported to Allegro-CL and CLIM 2.0.
- Users can specify appearance for all frames satisfying some
predicate (so far, can only use predicates we supply).
- Preferences are persistent, both on a per-user and a per-KB
- Opening KBs has been made much easier:
- GKB-Editor keeps track of KBs used in the past, so you
only have to use the open-KB dialogue once per KB.
- Dialogue asks only for filename, then tries to figure out
reasonable defaults for KB name, package, etc.
- Can save the state of a browse and reload later; the reloaded
browse will be updated to account for any KB changes.
- Completion menus for frame and slot names have been added.
- Kill ring shortcut for entering frames names, etc.
- New kind of relationships browse: can follow slot-type links as
well as slot-value links.
- The frame editor viewer has been completely revamped, and now
shares the same look and feel as the other viewers.
- The GKB-Editor now works with a Sipe back end.
- Miscellaneous useful commands have been added: Find, Print,
Save As, Expand, Compact, etc. Various menus and accept
interactions have been cleaned up. Most reported bugs have
- The SRI AIC has revamped its system code, so the installation
procedures have changed slightly.
- Added by request: saving a KB now creates a backup file; frame
selection can be aborted by right-clicking on the background
(as well as with Control-Z);
an additional preference allows the user to set the default root(s)
(non-persistently, though); probably some other stuff that I
can't think of right now.
- Hierarchy graphs are drawn more compactly now.
Suzanne M. Paley <email@example.com>
Last modified: Tue May 7 18:04:03 1996